Advertisement

Do you eat Pork?

topic posted Tue, February 3, 2009 - 3:25 PM by  Katrina
Share/Save/Bookmark
I've intrinsically stayed away from Pork for quite some time now. Now wishing to get into arguments with other people about why I don't think it's healthy, I just state instead that I don't like it. (when in fact I do) It's my little white lie.

My girlfriend who is getting her Masters in RN and also works at Rush Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago, just told me at lunch, quite randomly "Katrina!! Stay away from Pork" I told her I don't eat much of it anyways but asked why the sudden concern. To which she responds "I just had a 24yr old woman come in with brain swelling. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with her until a scan of her brain revealed fluid around 'tapeworm cysts' causing her brain to swell. She had an 8ft long tapeworm inside her whose cysts / "eggs" migrated to her brain causing so may problems. This happened from consuming Pork."

To which I responded "Was she underweight, as many people think others with tapeworms are?" "Nope.. she was totally normal except her brain started swelling."

I've never really needed validation to not eat Pork, I've known from research that Tapeworms were introduced primarily in two ways to the human race.. Bad Water & Pork. This just sealed whatever deal I had made with myself about not eating it. I did enjoy the very occasional slice of well cooked bacon from time to time. No more. Apparently the tapeworms cannot survive heat but their Cysts can and how they are 'hatched' is perfect really... It's our digestive acids in the stomach that 'pop' the cysts membrane and essentially, activate the worm.

Ewwwwwwwww. No more Pork ever for me. And this isn't an "I heard it on the internet" story. This comes from a childhood friend of mine who works in the environment.

Guess they had to drain the swelling in her brain and put her on hard antibiotics.. and I mean serious stuff that has it's own host of side effects, just to kill all the cysts in her body.
posted by:
Katrina
Illinois
Advertisement
  • Re: Do you eat Pork?

Tue, February 3, 2009 - 4:22 PM
    I generally don't eat meat, eggs or dairy, but for weightloss more than anything else. And these little notes about stuff in meat and things don't generally worry me. Some people are super sensitive to things, like your friend's patient. Sometimes people get salmonella from eggs, and sometimes it's from peanuts or another source. I don't really feel like any one animal or vegetable can be to blame. I feel like if you pick your food from the most reputable sources you can find (or are able to pay for), then you'll probably be just fine.

(And bacon tastes good, but don't tell the others I'm in the vegan tribe with.)

Tue, February 3, 2009 - 6:04 PM
      Not to burst your bubble (and believe me, I also think pork is gross), but you can also get a tapeworm from beef or fish.

And you can get salmonella from chicken, seafood, eggs, or peanut butter.

E. coli can come from meat or vegetables.

Any number of really bad things can be transmitted through a variety of sources.

You can also get hit by a car while walking through a parking lot........
      I don't know...I would rather not live in fear of all the bad things that could happen. There are just too many other things to worry about!

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 9:02 AM
        I'm with you Nurse Lisa!

How many people forgot those who died or got super sick from E.coli last year from SPINACH AND LETTUCE?

I can get Salmonella from my lizard too.

Properly washed and cooked food will get rid of parasites for the most part.

I too refuse to live in the "what if" world. Things would suck!

Tue, February 3, 2009 - 5:51 PM
    Tape worms make you thin, though. Who doesn't want to be thin.

Also you can get tapeworms from bovines.

>>>Tapeworms: Long flat worms. Less common in developed countries that have sanitation facilities and meat inspection. The beef tapeworm is digestive only, but the pork worm can lay cysts that migrate to the brain, causing seizures. WHO gives an infection rate of about 10% of the population. It's listed under the Office of Rare Diseases, which means that it affects less than 200 000 people in the USA<<<

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 1:31 AM
    I don't eat pork, but it's for religious not health or culinary reasons. Parasites don't survive in pork (or beef, or fish, or mutton, or chicken) which has been properly cooked. You can nasties from any of them if they aren't properly handled and prepared.

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 10:35 AM
    Yes, I eat properly cooked pork.

Fresh pork, when fully cooked, should have an internal temperature of 160°F. Fully cooked pork may have a little pink in the center. Pork's natural juices will run clear when meat is done. Processed pork (fully cooked/smoked ham) should have an internal temperature of 120°F.

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:01 PM
    Pork is wonderful. Cook it right and it shouldn't be an issue. Clean up after preparing, too, just like you would with chicken. (Lots of people get sick from skipping THAT step.)

That sounds exactly like the very 1st episode of House. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen in real life, but it's already happened on TV, so I have a hard time believing this really happened out-of-the-blue. I don't know the people involved myself.

I also love ham, sausage and occasionally bacon. (Ham, ham, ham!)

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:15 PM
      Duck.. I assure you.. this wasn't an episode on T.V. You needn't know anyone involved to trust what I'm saying, and someone else here already said that the tapeworms which can be contracted through beef do not carry the cysts which can migrate to the brain.. only Pork my friend. And no one's bursting my bubble about Salmonella and other gunk which is found in food. Hell, we can contract Ecoli from Veggies.. My point is that I'd rather deal with E Coli and Salmonella then Migrating Tapeworms.

It's funny though in the "Healthy Food Tribe" Bacon is a consumed food.. hehe

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:36 PM
        Really my point is: Fine, don't eat pork.

Are you trying to convince the rest of us not to?

(And yeah, that is what the first episode of House was about. Check it out if you don't believe me.)

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 5:37 PM
          Duck, you sound frustrated.. What I meant, that you misconstrued, was that the situation above was not an episode.. it was real life. Wasn't an argument about a TV series and what the story plots were... I don't watch much TV and of the things I do watch House isn't one of them so I wouldn't know nor care what the season stories were / are.

Am I trying to convince you not to eat Pork? Nope.. Pretty sure I can't convince anyone of anything they don't want to do of their very own free will. Just sharing how I feel about what I perceive to be an Unhealthy food, and since we're in this particular Tribe, I thought it on topic. Right now it's my opinion but it might not always be only that. In fact, take a look at the study done below, of all the retail meats (I think besides fish) the only meat with viable cysts in it are Pork. To me, that's freaking gross. There are plenty of other protein sources for me that I'd rather pursue and though you can contract a lot of crap from a lot of things, the fact is most Pork has cysts in it. Most Fish, Beef, Chicken & Turkey are not contaminated with Parasites the way Pork is nor are the vast majority contaminated with E Coli or Salmonella.

Eating something which is known to almost surely have parasites in it no matter how fresh it is, is just plain gross to me. Regardless of how many of the critters are or aren't killed with heat. Eww.

And this is coming from a person who admittedly likes Bacon. I LOVE Bacon. But I also LOVE Avocados and Apples and Pecans. And they don't raise my cholesterol. And as far as 'healthy" Pork goes, see above.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 6:09 AM
            I think what Duck was saying was my same first reaction to this post. It sounds rather urban-legendy. Not that I don't believe it COULD happen, but the chances are rather slim in the great scheme of things in this world.
            To counter your statement of things said but not proven, I heard that in comparison to chickens and how they are "farmed" and processed today, pork is actually a cleaner animal for consumption now. It wasn't always so, but some things have changed in the food line.
            I didn't post this bit of knowledge before, because it is a statement that I believe needs backing up. The source was a medical journal but I cannot remember where or when other than it was ~2 years ago. I would not expect people to just jump and say "Oh pork is good!" because I said I saw something sometime ago and can't give a concrete reference.
            So yeah, when I hear "A friend of mine told me [random horror story]" I am not going to take it as seriously as I would from a documented case.
            No offense...i think you have some good things to think about here.
            I will still eat bacon though

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 6:23 AM
              Bacon can KILL. If you eat way too much all the time. I have it maybe once a week or less. If I go to a breakfast buffet I will eat 10 pieces. I love it. I love BLTs too. I eat pork chops maybe every two or three months. And probably once a week or every two weeks I will make stirfry with pork and veggies. It's one of my favorite dishes to make. Totally orgasmic. lol Bacon is like a drug. Not good for you. Use it in moderation. Alcohol isnt good for me either but I still like and consume it. Technically I could live without it. I just dont want to. I enjoy it. I dont need a bong hit either. But occasionally I partake of the sacrament. Pigs are all good. It's factory farming that is screwed up.

This is a good book for anyone that's interested. www.amazon.com/Dead-Meat-.../156858041X

BOINK!!

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:37 AM
              Brat,

I think maybe you didn't read the actual study I posted below. In regards to your comment about things said but not proven..

Brat>> "So yeah, when I hear "A friend of mine told me [random horror story]" I am not going to take it as seriously as I would from a documented case."

I hardly think that my friend who I already cited as a practicing nurse at a hospital in Chicago (even gave ya the name of the hospital which it happened at) counts as an "I heard it from..." story. This is documented. According to HIPPA Laws, you cannot give out patients personal information however, unless they sign a form stating their personal medical information can be shared.

You can believe what you like, you will believe what you like as long as it suits you. I've given you published medical information below that you still don't "want" to believe. I've got nothing more for ya really. Take it for what you will and eat your Bacon in the meantime. The chances of something like this happening are hopefully very slim, but it doesn't negate the fact that it did happen and recently and I'm sure it's not the first time. As well as there being other parasites in Pork that are not viable in other meats... why?? why?? would I or even you want to eat it. Cause it tastes good? Well, so do lots of other things.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:48 AM
                > I think maybe you didn't read the actual study I posted below.

I don't think you understand the study you cited.

Here's the thesis: "The results indicate that solutions containing 2% sodium chloride or 1.4%
                potassium or sodium lactate are effective within 8 h of injection for killing T. gondii tissue cysts in pork loins and that storage
                at meat case temperatures at or below 0C (32F) for 7 days also killed T. gondii tissue cysts in pork loins."

So, the study suggests that adding a salt/mineral solution to pork, or freezing pork, will kill gondii.

They had to specifically infect perfectly healthy pigs in order to test the thesis. "Ten T. gondii–seronegative pigs (50 kg each, 5 months of age; Ernst Farms, Clear Spring, Md.) were infected orally with 1,000 sporulated T. gondii oocysts.

Finally, you can get a gondii infection from fruits & vegetables too!!! And from going barefoot on grass/soil!!!

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:55 AM
                  Pac,

There were actually 2 studies done, only one where they infected the pigs and the other where the pigs were already infected. The entire study was done because of the issue that retail Pork contains these parasites while other forms of meat DO NOT contain viable cysts.

Here's a quote again from the study. I think I understand the article pretty well. We have to pump solutions into the Pork make it safer to consume. The point I'm trying to illustrate is that there are more issues with Pork than there are with other forms of meat. This illustrates that.

"The recently completed National Retail
                  Meats Survey (NRMS) for T. gondii (11) revealed that
                  among retail beef, chicken, and pork, pork was the only
                  meat that contained viable T. gondii tissue cysts. Dubey et
                  al. (13) found that virtually every edible portion of an infected
                  pig carcass may contain viable T. gondii tissue cysts.
                  Considering this risk from infected pork, it is important to
                  understand how meat handling and processing might affect
                  the viability of T. gondii cysts in meat."

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:58 AM
                Your friend telling you, to me, is not a documented case. It is something you were told by a friend. Further, I did say I didn't believe it could happen. Obviously, it can and has.
                I did in fact read the case study and in it it even says: "Meat from these infected animals is shipped to retail stores and is available for purchase by consumers, posing a risk to consumers from IMPROPERLY PREPARED meat." Then goes on to list ways of eliminating the threat.
                I understand your cause but your way of presenting it I find inflammatory. Obviously, you are concerned and want to share what you feel is right. I respect that. Please respect my right to question generalities.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:21 PM
              Here ya go Brat & everyone else that wonders, tell me now if you need more documentation!

www.youtube.com/watch

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:40 PM
                yeahhhh...wasn't questioning whether it could happen. In fact I said it obviously could and was sure has happened. I was saying a friend telling a friend is not documention and that is how you opened the discussion. Noting the youtube link is a Phoenix report, not your friend's case correct?
                But ok...I feel you are not here to discuss an open issue.
                So sure.
                You convinced me!
                Opened my eyes!
                I will make sure I don't eat even partially raw pork
                I will wash my hands and cooking area when preparing pork

Oh wait! I already do those things
                Every bit you are showing here says the same thing....cook the meat and observe good kitchen cleanliness rules.
                Maybe it does need to be said. So...now it has.
                Peace

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:39 PM
        >>It's funny though in the "Healthy Food Tribe" Bacon is a consumed food.. hehe <<

Admitting to eating and enjoying bacon doesn't mean you can't also strive to eat a healthier diet.

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 5:09 PM
          Of course... Tri, I admitted to munching it once in awhile as well. But the fact is, it's one of the absolute unhealthiest things you can possibly eat... even in moderation.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:41 AM
            > But the fact is, it's one of the absolute unhealthiest things you can possibly eat... even in moderation.

Um, no it's not.

Pork Chops (pork loin), roasted
            Serving Size: 3 oz

Report incorrect nutrition info
            Amount Per Serving
            Calories 169.2
            Total Fat 7.7 g
            Saturated Fat 2.8 g
            Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
            Monounsaturated Fat 3.4 g
            Trans Fat 0.0 g
            Cholesterol 67.2 mg
            Sodium 56.1 mg
            Potassium 307.7 mg
            Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
            Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
            Sugars 0.0 g
            Protein 23.4 g
            Vitamin A 0.1 %
            Vitamin B-12 8.2 %
            Vitamin B-6 15.8 %
            Vitamin C 1.4 %
            Vitamin D 0.0 %
            Vitamin E 0.0 %
            Calcium 2.1 %
            Copper 3.0 %
            Folate 0.9 %
            Iron 4.9 %
            Magnesium 4.7 %
            Manganese 0.7 %
            Niacin 23.2 %
            Pantothenic Acid 5.9 %
            Phosphorus 18.6 %
            Riboflavin 13.3 %
            Selenium 52.5 %
            Thiamin 51.7 %
            Zinc 11.8 %

Sat, April 19, 2014 - 9:26 AM
            The truth of the matter is this...pork, without a doubt in my mind, is "one of the absolute unhealthiest things YOU can possibly eat"! That is a fact. Thankfully, you do not have the authority to claim this to be an absolute truth for anyone else. And it really doesn't matter whether you accept that or not. God is my provider. He always has been and always will be.

My Great Grandmother lived to be 86 years old and she was healthy. Do you know what one of her favorite things to eat was? And let me be clear, I am not saying anyone should eat in such a manner. I am merely stating the truth here. She loved making bacon and then she would drown some cut up tomatoes in the grease and fry them and she would sop some bread in the grease too. She did not eat that daily but she ate it enough that I can still remember it being one of her favorite things to eat.

I can promise you this though, it doesn't matter what you do, you will not lengthen the days of your life simply by changing your diet. Every hair on your head is numbered. When it is your time to go, you are going.

Seriously, if it makes you happy not eating pork, more power to you. Isn't is wonderful that you were free to make that choice for yourself, without being pressured or persuaded? I believe that you will live a long and healthy life because you are at peace with your eating habits. I believe that is true for everyone though.

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:16 PM
      Oh... and the cysts in Pork are a lot heartier then you think.. they can survive a pretty fair amount of heat.

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 2:23 PM
        > the cysts in Pork are a lot heartier then you think.. they can survive a pretty fair amount of heat.

USDA says 140 will kill them, a lot lower than salmonella.

Relax - trichinosis is very real but it's nothing new in porkdom.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Wed, February 4, 2009 - 5:19 PM
          "The recently completed National Retail Meats Survey (NRMS) for T. gondii (11) revealed that
          among retail beef, chicken, and pork, pork was the only
          meat that contained viable T. gondii tissue cysts."

Here's another parasite for ya that you are way more likely to contract eating Pork. The link to the study is below. And you thought it was only cat feces. Not so much.

www.msu.edu/course/fsc/8...rk%20Loin.pdf

Sat, April 19, 2014 - 9:30 AM
            Why does it seem like you are so desperate to get them to be like you? It seems, to me, you did your part by posting the facts. But I sense you are trying to prove something....

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 8:53 AM
    I eat pork. I have for 30 years and never had a problem. I eat it at LEAST once a week. It's leaner than beef, and when cooked properly and thoroughly it's completely safe. As stated before, cooking it to a temp of 140 deg can destroy the cysts as can freezing it a -10 deg C for 5 days.

I will continue to eat it.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 9:47 AM
      Ms,

Tapeworm cysts are not the only issue, but also Toxoplasmosis. Pork simply has more crap in it in addition to the crap that's already found in other meats. For want of a better term, it's a dirtier meat.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 11:04 AM
        Toxoplasmosis? Yeah, you can that from eating undercooked pork. You can also get it from eating any other undercooked meat. Hell, you can get it from fruits and vegetables that were fertilized with cow manure (including organic produce). If you have a cat you are exposed to it. If your neighbor has a cat and you garden or your children have a sand pit, you are exposed to it. Most healthy people that have it don't even get symptoms. It's really only dangerous to the very young, very old and immunosuppressed.

The fact of the matter is, germs and other nasties are all around us. Its impossible to avoid them all, and we shouldn't anyways. Avoiding germs makes you less healthy. Just use common sense when preparing food and you'll be fine.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:04 PM
          In the study above Ms, there actually weren't viable toxoplasmosis cysts found in *any* other form of meat. (cept maybe fish.. can't remember)

It's not just dangerous to the very young and old, it's also very dangerous to pregnant women as well.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:15 PM
            It's actually dangerous to the unborn child (very young), not necessarily the pregnant mother. Also, as I stated before, you can be exposed to it even if you are a vegan.

I'll make my point AGAIN. Properly handled and cooked meat (of any kind) is safe to consume.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:25 PM
              I'm positive Ms that something like this which is potentially dangerous to the child can be dangerous to the mother.. Especially if there is emergency care needed because of it. It's also extremely dangerous to those with any digestive disorder.

Did you know that if you don't perfectly disinfect your counter tops after 'properly' handling the meat and cooking it, while disinfecting everything else, you can contract the cysts.. even if you cook the tarnations out of your meat. And Pork is the ONLY meat that spreads this kind of life threatening tape worm & cysts. Guess that's my point that I'm making AGAIN.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:26 PM
                Here's a link for you and everyone else Ms

www.youtube.com/watch

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 3:59 PM
                  Yeah, you posted this already. If I want to watch it I will, but it's not really going to scare me from eating pork. Actually, I think I'm having shredded pork and onion tacos tonight. Yum!
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: Do you eat Pork?

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 4:56 PM
                    Then eat darlin.. it's information.. that's all.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 10:50 PM
                      Katrina>> "it's information.. that's all."

Are you sure? You started this thread, to which there have been 45 replies (not including mine here), 15 of which have been from you. 33% of responses, from you, defending your position and seemingly becoming increasingly annoyed that you have not convinced others to jump on your no pork bandwagon.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your opinions. I also appreciate what I assume was an effort on your part to inform us of the potential ill effects of pork.

Just try not to take it so personally when we don't all agree with your views. It's part of the fun of starting a thread in the first place!

: )

~ could someone please pass the granola? ~

Fri, February 6, 2009 - 6:30 AM
                        Sweet P,

33%... lol.. thanks for breaking that down. hehe

At the end of the day, it's all just information, regardless of opinions. I enjoy dialogue which is why I respond to people's posts, be them to this or many other topics. No biggie either way.

I absolutely get annoyed when inherent ignorance is thrown around. Totally admit to that. There's a few moments where I've perceived some ignorance be it personal or informational. But I don't loose sleep over it! And there have also been plenty of folks that have simply shared their opinion respectfully and will do what they do.

Take Care

K

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:31 PM
                Yeah… I mentioned cleaning up after your perp in my first post.

And it's important to clean up after ALL food prep, not just pork. Like chicken, beef, anything raw that's not intended to be ingested raw. Eggs… etc.

Pork may be the only one carrying these cysts, but there are plenty of other things you can get from not cleaning up properly after other things, too.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:32 PM
                > Did you know that if you don't perfectly disinfect your counter tops after 'properly' handling the meat and cooking it, while disinfecting everything else, you can contract the cysts..

DUH. Are you brand new to food safety issues (and common sense)?

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 4:55 PM
                  Pacific,

"DUH"??? You looking for a fight Pacific?

Maybe it did not occur to everyone that cysts can live outside of the Pork Pacific and that cleaning with antibacterial soap and water doesn't kill all of them either.

I think communicating with you has come to an end for me. I do attempt to be respectful, clearly something you've not the grace to try.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 1:33 PM
              The problem is' many people do not cook meat 'properly' .Also they buy their meat from supermarkets, where it is often already contaminated! Supermarkets have sold meat contaminated with salmonella....My local one once had 'thawing' chickens, that the next day were frozen!Because animals, even 'organic meat' is pumped with anti biotics, it makes us resistant to antibiotics also...For that reason(apart from factory farming methods) I don't eat pork, or any meat or fish.

Thu, February 5, 2009 - 10:13 PM
                well -
                I'm happy to report that last 4th of July, at a pool party up in the hills of Topanga Canyon I ate a pork chorizo sausage that was charred on the outside and raw on the inside. At the time I checked in with myself on the question: is it okay to eat this? And the answer was Yes! so I ate the whole thing.
                Maybe the copious amounts of garlic and cayenne had something to do with it, but here it's seven months later,
                and the end of the world as we know it -
                and I feel fine.

=)

Sat, April 19, 2014 - 9:44 AM
            Well according to this study, Ms. is correct.

www.2ndchance.info/rawdiet-toxoUSDA.pdf

"The protozoan Toxoplasma gondii infects virtually all warm-blooded animals, including humans, livestock, and marine mammals (Dubey and Beattie, 1988; Dubey et al., 2003). Infection in humans and livestock occurs worldwide. In the United States, various surveys have found that 10–50% of the adult population has been exposed to this parasite....." Please check out the study yourself.

Sat, February 7, 2009 - 11:06 AM
    uhhh how does your girlfriend knwo that the tapeworm was caused by eatign pork???

Uhh has your gf told you to not eat potatoe chips? processed meats? cake? coca cola? splenda??

Sat, February 7, 2009 - 3:19 PM
      "Uhhhhh... Uhhhhhh".. havin trouble there?

Look at the Link above Cathy and ask that doctor why it's from eating Pork.

From what I understand the type of worm that Pork carries is unique to other meats.. other meats 'worms' or 'cysts' do not and cannot migrate to the brain. Pork is the only meat that carries the type of worm which can accomplish this disgusting task.

Sun, February 8, 2009 - 12:22 AM
        I thought that's why you cook pork though. You dont eat it rare like a steak or make pork tartar. : ) You cook it till it's right for eating. And if you get a tapeworm you can always get some salad tongs and pull it out and make a casserole for the neighbors you hate but pretend to like. "Oh look what M brought us honey. It smells sooooo good." lol Talk about bootylicious.

Sun, February 8, 2009 - 7:39 AM
          lo!! Yuck : )

I don't know bout you but occasionally I eat out. I'm *assuming* others here do as well. whenever I have gotten food poisoning, it's been other people handling my food. the same thing can happen in the instance mentioned.

and again, why eat something that has more parasitic involvement than other meats? because it tastes that good? i don't really think pork tastes that great anyways.

i just watched a cooking show where the lady picked up a ham from the butcher and the butcher tells her to cook the pork to 135. barefoot contessas.. something like that. and im just thinking "YOU'RE GOTTA GET WORMS" lol

don't think tapeworms are that terrible, it's the 'migrating to the brain' worms that kinda suck.

Sun, February 8, 2009 - 8:12 AM
            Seven or eight years ago I discovered I'd been suffereing from an intestinal parasite for about seventeen years. I forget what it was called. But a two week prescription knocked it out. The doctor said they are easy to get and that about 80 - 85% of everyone living has some kind of worms, parasites or other strange things growing in their bodies. He showed me pictures of all kinds of really gross stuff. Just to put me at ease. Because I was so grossed out and disturbed that I had a parasite. He was showing me that while mine had caused me many problems, that there were alot worse cases. Someone I know had thought she must have IBS for years. We'd be driving down the highway and all of a sudden she HAD to find a restroom ASAP!!! I told her about my thing and she went to her doctor two days later and they told her she had something similar to what I had. They say you can get it from petting a dog. From food prepared by someone that hasnt washed their hands. Hell, you can get it from doorknobs and countertops. You get it from fecal matter. Even microscopic amounts. I highly recommend that if you have problems that you just tell the doc your concerns and he'll have you give a stool sample. If their is something there he, or she, will take care of it for you. There's no need to spend your life suffering from these things.

Sun, February 8, 2009 - 11:42 AM
              I totally agree with you M, but there is a difference between parasites that you can live with and parasites that are deadly. The one here can be deadly if it makes it's way to the brain. There aren't other parasites that I know of which can do this. Only the one found in our dear friend.. the swine.

I had roundworm when I was a kid from a dog we had which was never on any worm treatment. That was pretty gross and like you, a prescription knocked it out. Not a big deal..

Sun, February 8, 2009 - 9:08 PM
            since ham is smoked and/or pre-cooked, it requires a lower re-heating tempurature - usually anywhere from 120 to 140 degrees F.

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 9:24 AM
              Good to know the show won't be cancelled due to brain worms..

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 10:17 AM
                Maybe it's time to ask yourself how many people do you personally know eat pork? How many of them have gotten brain worms?

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 11:56 AM
                  Well Ms, considering I posted this because of someone I know that treated a woman with brain worms.. I've probably asked myself that question. I think it's time you ask yourself why you're still on this thread.

Sat, April 19, 2014 - 10:14 AM
        Are YOU having trouble? If not, then why are you so quick to resorting to 'Ad Hominem' here? Don't you think you can do better than that?

When you found the link, why didn't you ask those questions? Burden of Proof is on the one who makes an assertion of something being true/false, for others to accept.

Anyways, since you are so worried about this parasite (included on this list of 4 parasites that want to invade your brain), you should be aware of the other methods those little buggers are traveling toward your brain.

www.popsci.com/science/ar...-your-brain

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 7:56 AM
    I like mine with green eggs. Or maybe Balut.

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 9:02 AM
      Mmmmm balut.

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 6:12 PM
        Ewwwwww

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 8:08 PM
          images.google.com/images

That's all folks. Besides the Porkies movie of course. And this explains why the zombies in the movies like to eat brains. Because so many people were eating pork and their brains were infested with worms. They really liked eating the worms. It wasnt just the brains. And that is why you are all here now. Because your brains have not yet been infested. But surely it is just a matter of time. Until then, party like it's 2099. Eeee Heee!!!

Oink oink oink!!! Here piggy piggy piggy. SQUEAL LIKE A PIG BOY!!! BEERS STEERS & QUEERS!!!! Yeeeeeee HAW!!! Cowboys.
          This wittle piggy went to town.
          This wittle piggy cannibalized his brother. The other white meat. And got brain worms and zombies ate him. SCAREY!!!

And then Mr. M pooped on the floor in the middle of the room for everyone to disect. Stool sample anyone? : ) Got microscope?

Tue, February 10, 2009 - 1:50 PM
            Mr M,

I definitely think you should be screened for brain worms : )
            • Unsu...

Tue, February 10, 2009 - 2:47 PM
              Lazy asses eat pork.

Only those who are truly noble of not being lazy will not eat a pig.

They will instead

leave them alone to their Thirty Minute Orgasms

and eat Bovine Testi

And yes, I have been screened.
              9 ft. beeyatch.

Tue, February 10, 2009 - 8:54 PM
              I was juz bein' silly. I was having some whiskey & weed last night. Twas like sooooo wasted. lol Tonight only one drink-e-poo. Then read myself to sleep. I had the most freaked out murder dream last night. I was reading a serial killer book before going to sleep. It was totally insane. I think I should post about it on the Dream Post tribe.

BOINK!!!

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 10:22 AM
    Thinking about it now, I think having brain worms explains a lot about my life.

Mon, February 9, 2009 - 11:54 AM
      hehe
      • Unsu...

Fri, February 13, 2009 - 6:40 AM
        i always did eat pork..especially pulled pork sandwiches...but i'm getting a little nervous now.

Fri, February 13, 2009 - 7:00 AM
          I am a pork eater and not nervous. Let me tell you why. If even 1% of the population who eats pork got brain worms there would be a huge epidemic. The odds of getting this is soooo low that if you cook the meat correctly it is negligible. I have a much better chance of stepping outside my door and slipping on the ground and dying that way than getting brain worms. Hell I have a much better chance of dying by slipping on the curb, getting blinded by a bicylcist before getting hit by a schoolbus than getting brainworms.
          If you live your life in fear of everything, you'd never step outside your door.
          But that is my own opinion of the sitch here.
          Read the all the posts and you may have another one heheh

Fri, February 13, 2009 - 7:23 AM
          Just me,

The doctor in the video above expressed he is seeing these cases more and more, 5 just last year. And for this being such a "rare" occurence, that number isn't rare for one doctor alone to be seeing that many patients with this 'rare' dis ease. Point is, it seems to be on the rise.

I think the chances of someone getting this if they are cooking their own Pork vs letting someone else cook it, is a lot slimmer. That being said, it's never a bad thing to be simply aware of the crap out there, without getting freaked out by it, just be aware of it. I don't eat it at all, but that's just my prerogative. Lots of people here think I'm blasting Pork as the Satan of the food industry.. All I'm saying is there is more of a risk to eating this type of meat than other types of meats. Even tho it tastes so darn gewd : )

Fri, February 13, 2009 - 11:13 PM
            I had Japanese pork tonkatsu for dinner tonight. It was so good I told my roommate I thought I might cream my pants. Total food-gasm. OH GOD YES!!!

Fri, February 13, 2009 - 11:29 PM
              We bought a free range organic pig from a small farm nearby. They pack it all up nice and pretty. I took some spare ribs out and examined closely.
              Sure enough,. brain worms all over the damn thing. They were solving some pretty complex math problems, and geeking out to Battle Star Galatica.

None of them had any plans for Valentine's Day.

Mon, February 16, 2009 - 1:38 PM
                Oh Elaine~ that just made me snort! : ) ha ha ha

Mon, February 16, 2009 - 5:28 PM
                  Boy, I take a little time of from moderation duties and it's tapeworms everywhere! This does seem to be one of those threads where everyone keeps saying the same thing over and over . . .

1. You can get icky diseases from pork

2. You can get icky diseases from other things

3. Yeah, but there are icky things in pork.

4. Mmhmm, and in other things.

5. But, pork has them!

repeat, ad infinitum. I did do a bit of reading on the subject, and everything I saw seemed to imply that properly cooking the pork would, in fact, deal with the ickies (to use the technical term). I mean, use Occam's Razor. If it were common to get brainworms from pork, brainworms would be common. So, deductive reasoning says, they are relatively rare. Just sayin'. Thought this article was good for detailing that the issue does exist, but also that it's linked to improper food prep.

www.healthleader.uthouston.edu/ar...tml

Tue, February 17, 2009 - 1:01 PM
                    Pork simply has MORE of the "Ickies" And NO.. you can't get a brain worm from eating vegetables. You can get parasites.. not brain migrating ones.

Sat, April 19, 2014 - 10:25 AM
            So now that you are safe from ingesting those parasites via pork, you need to turn your attention to Pinworms because you now need to safeguard the air around you.....

Pinworm eggs can easily become airborne and this most often happens when we shake the clothes or bedding of someone who has pinworms, then the eggs can be lifted into the air and carried along. When pinworms lay their eggs, the skin in this area becomes itchy. By scratching, the small pinworm eggs can gather under fingernails or on fingers and then scratching can pass on the eggs on to others through touch and contact.

Pinworm eggs can not only be inhaled from the air but they can land on (ANY) food that we eat or on clothes or from bedding.

Pinworms are small, thin, white worms up to up to half a centimetre long, sometimes longer. They are easily passed from person to person, even though their life cycle only usually lasts 2 weeks. While pinworms are not a dangerous worm in terms of health, they can be irritating; cause skin conditions and can be tricky to get rid of.

Pinworms live in the human intestine and lay their eggs on the skin around the rectum. Pinworms are more usually found in children but also occur in adults.

At room temperature, pinworm eggs have been known to survive outside the intestine for up to 2 weeks. Pinworm eggs hatch where the eggs are laid, then they move into the lower intestine where they grow to adult size.

Pinworms grow to adult size between 2-6 weeks. Pinworm infection can be spread by the worms or through the eggs.
            Worms transmitted by Contact

Most parasitic infections come from our food and water sources but can also be transmitted by human or animal contact.

Simply petting and grooming our pets can increase the chances of infection, the parasites' eggs passing from their fur to our hands, nose and mouth. Quite a number of parasites common to cats and dogs can also survive quite happily inside a human body.

Pinworms are also sometimes called threadworms. Pinworm eggs end up on most surfaces that people who have them touch. This means that pinworms can often end up on the following:

Bed linen
            Clothing
            Toilets
            Drinking glasses
            Eating utensils

Pinworms are not very long, mostly about the size of a staple and we become infected by them by digesting their eggs. Pinworms only come from other humans, not from pets. Their eggs hatch in the small intestine and then move on to the large intestine where they grow into adults.

Pinworm eggs are too small to be seen without a microscope but the actual worms can often be seen and look like pieces of white thread or string. The female pinworms move out of the large intestine at night and lay their eggs around the anus, hence the itching that is symptomatic of pinworms.

At least they aren't known to cause death.

Mon, February 16, 2009 - 5:52 PM
    hahaha, this is funny, most parasites that people get are usually from uncooked veggies in salads when they go out to restuarants.. In the the US, according the CDC around 25 percent of people have parasites that they aren't even aware of. If you think just not eating pork will stop you from getting tapworms or parasites. I think your girlfriend might want to study a little bit more about parasites and tape worms. what she gave you is one example in the thousands of case that are reported every year. Not mention that we all have loads of bacteria and bacteria parasites that live in side of us all the time. Americans really have to get over the idea that all bacteria is bad bacteria.

It's good idea to properly wash and cook all your foods whether they are meat or veggies. So many people don't pay attention to prepping and cooking things and have cross contamination not to mention when you go out to eat, you don't know anything about where you food came from and how it was prepared.

Sun, March 8, 2009 - 11:07 AM
    I don't eat pork for religious reasons. Before I reverted to Islam, I did, and I never had any problems from it, though. I never thought I liked pork until I converted to Islam - then I realized that one time a month I ate it actually meant something! Now I'm learning the wonders of turkey bacon and beef sausage, though :)

A'ishah.

Mon, April 27, 2009 - 11:23 PM
    Bet ya think Swine Flu is real funny too Porkers! MMMmmmm Eat up!

Tue, April 28, 2009 - 8:12 AM
      OMG!!!!! WE'RE ALL TOTALLY GONNA DIE NOW!

Tue, April 28, 2009 - 8:33 AM
        Kind of like how we're all gonna die from avian flu by eating chicken? Sweet!!!!

At least with pork you aren't going to get Mad Cow Disease, which can't even be destroyed through cooking. I've heard that's a real bitch to die from.

Mmmm, I think I'm going to have Asian pork soup tonight.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 9:24 AM
        tri- people dying the world over is funny to you? you forget its primarily elderlly and babies that are effected? keep laughing, but i don't think it's too funny.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 9:33 AM
          Here ya go Tri, this is funny isn't it. *note sarcasm*

First US Swine Flu Death.
          news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090...d_swine_flu

And seriously, when did we go from Pork is not healthy to everyone is going to die??? In regards to Brat, the original post was backed up by facts dear. Brainworms are real, they do come from pork and unfortunately are contagious from a pork eater to a non pork eater. Oh, what's that you say.. same as Swine Flu? YES! You guys are thick as pigs. Lots of pun intended.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 10:15 AM
            Wait! So now the brainworms are contagious between people? Where did I miss that?

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 2:04 PM
              Ms ~ You probably missed it when you didn't want to watch the video of the brain surgeon removing the brainworm from the woman that I posted. You might need to brush up on your facts a bit as well. Yes, brain worms are contagious from a person who has been infected from PORK, to other people.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 2:42 PM
                SO what's wrong with having Brain worms anyway? Why do we always assume the Brain worms aren't actually there to help us?

I think we need to really take a step back and think about how the Brain worms might feel about these obvious attempts at misinformation on who they really are.

Thu, April 30, 2009 - 9:07 AM
            HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

Get over yourself, Katrina and learn to enjoy life. Good lord.

Thu, April 30, 2009 - 7:09 PM
              Tri, not that this actually means jack to you, but last week I gave birth to a little girl. There is no vaccine or anti-biotic if it passes to her. They are only for children 1 year and older.. Isn't about 'getting over myself'. Sorry that I don't agree with your way of laughing at this.. "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" Not too funny.. Getting sick as a 'pig'.. funny. People dying isn't too HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... as hilarious to me to joke about as it obviously is for you.

Thu, April 30, 2009 - 9:56 PM
                Kat,
                you do realize that over 35,000 people die from influenza in the US each year from strains that are NOT swine flu. Keep it in perspective that only one person has been confirmed as dead from the Swine Flu. It is not productive to panic. Also keep in perspective that consuming said swine has no relevance to the virus.
                I know you tend to read things how you want here and it seems you twist things up. I can site my own misquotes from you (somewhere you got it in your head that I said "brainworms" don't exist. I, in fact did not say that. But you chose to view it as that. I am not going to argue with you. You are going to see things how you are going to see things.
                I seriously don't think Tri was saying anyone's death is a funny thing. What IS funny is you telling us how the sky is falling because of pigs and pork..........again. You should really think about investing in a sense of humor.

Fri, May 1, 2009 - 8:25 AM
                  Not only that but that one death that everyone keeps citing as some big "OMG Someone died!!" was a kid visiting the US from Mexico! Odds are he already had a compromised immune system to begin with.

Sun, June 7, 2009 - 10:15 PM
                  The sky is falling when pigs fly... LOL Now that's funny. The main point to this Brat, was that people can get brainworms from eating Pork and no other meat does that. That is what IS a fact. If we ate food that was respected and didn't sit in it's own shit, Swine Flu probably wouldn't be and it's pretty damn serious if it mutates. BUT, there's probably a lot of things that can mutate that we don't even know about. In this instance it was coincidentally funny that swine flu pops up shortly after this thread began. But I'm getting of my high pony and coming back to the initial point, which was only to share something which despite your scintillating, scathing intellect.. you may not have been aware of. Perhaps you could invest in a 'Taming Your Inner Bitch' seminar.

Wed, June 10, 2009 - 1:29 PM
                    Katrina said, "But I'm getting of my high pony and coming back to the initial point, which was only to share something which despite your scintillating, scathing intellect.. you may not have been aware of."

dangling participle there....just saying with my scintillating, scathing intellect.

Katrina said, "Perhaps you could invest in a 'Taming Your Inner Bitch' seminar."

Wow. You have been reduced to personal attacks. Yes, indeed that will make your point. I am converted. Except bacon.

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 6:14 PM
                      Brat,

You attacked the thread from the start. Like you were really ever going to 'listen'.
                      And hey.. you told me to invest in a sense of humor, I though that was pretty funny, just takin your advice. ; )
                      • This post was deleted by Bloke

Wed, June 10, 2009 - 2:05 PM
                    could someone please inform me of when and where this 'Taming Your Inner Bitch' seminar will be held? sounds like it could be a hell of a lot more useful than this thread...
                    This post was deleted by Bloke

Tue, April 28, 2009 - 2:56 PM
      You know...when I heard about the Swine Flu, I really wondered how long it would take for this thread to reopen. Didn't take long at all...and made me laugh!

So in response Kat...
      In general, Swine Flu...not so funny
      In regards to having anything to do with this thread...yes. Misinformation can be a laugh riot if taken with a grain of salt pork

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 9:25 AM
        Yeah Brat, it's all coincidental.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 10:25 AM
          Hmm it's strange. My little piggies out back don't seem to be concerned at all. They continue to lay around and play in the mud without a care. Maybe they know something and are in on it. Time to get them into the freezer before they get me I guess.

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 4:03 PM
            Hate to be the realist here, but we're all gonna die at some point from something. I agree that swine flu is not a laughing matter, but we are, in fact, all gonna die. Might as well be with a good taste in our mouths...

mmmmm bacon

Wed, April 29, 2009 - 5:52 PM
              www.goblinville.com/pages/wr...crawl.htm

The Worms Crawl In

Did you ever think, as a hearse goes by,
              That you might be the next to die?
              They wrap you up in a big white sheet,
              And bury you down about six feet deep

They put you in a big black box,
              And cover you up with dirt and rocks,
              And all goes well, for about a week,
              And then the coffin begins to leak!

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
              The worms play pinochle on your snout.
              They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
              They eat the jelly between your toes.

A great big worm with rolling eyes,
              Crawls in your stomach and out your eyes,
              Your stomach turns a slimy green,
              And pus pours out like whipping cream.

You spread it on a slice of bread,
              And that's what worms eat when you're dead.

Alternate / Additional Lines:

They wrap you up in a long white shirt
              And cover you up with rocks and dirt

They put you in a long pine box
              And cover you over with dirt and rocks

The worms that crawl in are lean and thin
              The worms that crawl out are fat and stout

Your eyes fall in and your hair falls out
              Your brains come pouring out your snout

They use your bones as telephones
              and call you up but you're no longer at home

Your eyes pop out, your teeth decay
              and that's the end of a peaceful day

You turn the color of sickening green
              And pus comes out like butter and cream
              You wipe it up with a piece of bread
              And that's what you eat when you are dead

They eat your eyes, they eat your nose
              They eat the jelly between your toes

Your stomach turns a mossy green
              And pus comes out like fresh whipped cream
              You wipe it up with a piece of bread
              And that's what you eat when you are dead

Tue, May 5, 2009 - 9:41 PM
                Katrina, get over it. You are never going to be able to convince some people that you are correct, no matter how much you think you are.

P.S: The swine flu is an airborne illness. Not from eating pork.

Tue, May 5, 2009 - 10:10 PM
                  Could it be something they put in "chemtrails?" Why of course it could. Wouldnt surprise me a bit.

Wed, May 6, 2009 - 2:02 PM
                    Interestingly enough, I thought I would share this little tidbit (And unfortunately the book with the study information is packed somewhere, but I'm sure someone can look it up if you're terribly interested.)

I do not generally eat pork - only very very rarely (and completely cooked through safely blah blah blah ). I don't eat it because I was recommended not to by a therapist and nutritionalist who were treating me for an adrenal problem coupled with extreme stress.

I reacted quite poorly to the medications for my adrenal problem so I turned to alternative therapies. It turns out that several studies down by repuatable hospitals and schoold (Stanford and John Hopkins amongst them) found a link between stress-anger responses and high quantities of pork. As it turns out people who eat more bacon or pork products have higher levels of the chemicals that stress and anger release in your body. By eliminating pork, those levels returned to normal. I can't say stopping eatting pork regularly CURED me. But as part of a number of changes in diet and lifestyle it helped tremendously.

That being said, cooking pork. . . has to be done all the way. :) You can get tapeworms and diseases from any meat, but not if ya cook the hell out if. :)

Oh, and final fun fact. . . .there's cockroaches in sausage. And rats. And rat feces. the FDA moderates how much per pound. So I don't eat those pork products completely on the "ick" factor. Well, that and I don't eat processed foods (diet changes) If I can't prounounce it on the first try, and recognize it as something that comes out of the ground, or off an animal, it doesn't go in my stomach.

Later, Gaters.
                    ~smile~
                    Queenly

Wed, May 6, 2009 - 6:08 PM
                      "Oh, and final fun fact. . . .there's cockroaches in sausage. And rats. And rat feces. the FDA moderates how much per pound."

Actually that's pretty much any food product actually. The allowances vary based on the food but no food is "perfect" regardless of if it is processed or not.

On that note I think I'll have a scrapple sandwich for dinner.

Thu, May 7, 2009 - 10:06 AM
                      media.wiley.com/product_da...1781827.pdf

www.cdc.gov/MMWR/PDF/ss/ss5206.pdf

I am quoting another person in another tribe in a discussion about pork and eating it. He gave me the links too on how to cook pork correctly.

>>Now to the cooking issues. What you can get from pork that has not been frozen to o degrees F is trichinosis which is a parasitic worm. All pork sold in the US now is required to be frozen to that temp and held 24 hours. Because of these changes the USDA issues new cooking guidelines of 145 degrees internal. This is just a bit past medium. So we can now enjoy our pork products tender and juicy rather than shoe leather. So please quit cooking it to 160. They are far better when they don't have the texture of sawdust laden shoe leather.<<

Thu, May 7, 2009 - 11:34 AM
                        >So please quit cooking it to 160. They are far better when they don't have the texture of sawdust laden shoe leather.

Word. I'll take mine pink, please.

Sun, June 7, 2009 - 10:08 PM
                      Meredith,

Haven't been around here in awhile and just read the posts. In the past year or two I've wondered, on an energetic level, how consuming meats that are poorly treated could possibly effect our bodies. While some people have a hard time fathoming this concept I do believe eating animals that are raised properly have a very different effect on us then animals that aren't. What you shared is really really interesting. At the end of the day, I'm glad you found something that helped you. There's a LOT of information out there and sifting through it all is mind boggling at times!

K

Sun, June 7, 2009 - 10:24 PM
                  Nurse..

But you might convince people you are for sale or in dire need of lost Daddy attention with that picture!

Sat, June 13, 2009 - 11:04 AM
                    Oh SNAP! You sure hit me where it hurts.

Darn.

Sat, June 13, 2009 - 11:09 AM
                      Oh, and while we're all playing nice, I should point out that people don't have their masters in RN. RN stands for 'registered nurse'...its a title not a degree. Your friend is probably getting her masters in nursing, or at least thats the degree I have.

Tue, May 19, 2009 - 11:34 AM
    I don't eat pork and haven't in several years. I do eat red meat. I think the mass-farming we do to ingest meat creates a lot of problems. I also think if something starts out "wrong" (keeping an animal in a pen where it can't even turn around), then it ends up wrong. Our consumption is so out of hand, and I'm a guilty party here, too.
    The only thing about pork I miss maybe twice a year is bacon; then I go to the health food store and buy turkey bacon.

Sun, June 7, 2009 - 10:22 PM
      Penelope,

I agree whole heatedly about the mass farming bit though if I'm out and starving it's not easy to find food!!! ... I miss Pork too at times. Not gonna lie, I enjoyed Bacon like a Samoan tending an Umu at a Hangi, but the brainworm thing grossed me out and I realized that the things I ate Bacon on were Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers and I couldn't control the prep or cooking process of that. I don't however miss the grease all over my stove though!

Mon, June 8, 2009 - 6:47 AM
    I actually just recently decided to stop eating pork and beef.

Mon, June 8, 2009 - 9:02 AM
      I don't eat pork, Gods advice is good enough for me. Most think the old laws are no longer valid, but why, are we smarter.

I am not Jewish or Muslim, but I am smart enough and a very sensitive medical Empath, to figure it out and sense it for myself. Most of the people I find in life with some major health issues, usually have parasites and toxins behind the problems, and most times then not, they are from Trichinosis, which are no only muscles, but have also damaged and compromised organ function in the body.

Sometimes they don't get it from pork or etc, but from their mothers, who pass it on while breast feeding their children.

I saw a TV program years ago, it said the US Government gets around 160,.000 reported cases a year, and they figure that the actual infestation level was 10 to 100 times or more with undiagnosed cases, because for many, it takes decades, and the symptoms are just taken as symptoms of obesity, ill health and early onset of old age.

Modern people are just not in the mind set to think we can get parasites. But in the past, mothers routinely de-parasited their families twice a year spring and fall.

Pork is hard to digest, it takes like 9 hours to digest pork, and it is quite fibrous, it can kill a dog by lacerating its stomach, if feed regularly.

In general, eating much meat at all of for very long is not very healthy, especially if you eat it with grains or starchy foods, they have different digestive requirements ands neither gets properly digested, and in time, you are left malnourished, and with a acidity stomach and indigestion, now unable to produce enough acid to digest protein foods, minerals and etc.

Observation shows that normally, the more animal protein one eats, the more health problems you Will eventually have, the faster you will age and etc. Eating animal protein sparingly, averaging 3 ounces a day, will not affect ones health, pH wise, but maybe just parasites. It is compounded and exacerbated by the lack of consumption of enough vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Most of our modern heath problems are all because of what we eat or don't eat.

Ecologically, animal products are very inefficient, beef being about the worst, it takes like arouind a 100 times more energy to produce a pound of beef, then it does a pound of similar vegetable protein. If not for commercial large scale animal food production, and that of alcohol, there would be a glut of food on the world wide market and prices would fall, and no one should be hungry, unless some government or company does it, to control or make more money out of greed.

Mon, June 8, 2009 - 9:19 AM
        "Gods advice is good enough for me."

God also advises that:

Burning a bull on the altar as a scrifice creates a pleasing odor for the lord (Lev 1:9) Lets hear it for BBQ!!!!!

That I can sell my daughter into slavery (Exodus 21:7) Maybe I can finally pay for her text messaging bill!

That I shouldn't be around my girlfriend when she's on her period (Lev 15:19-24) Ok well maybe this one IS good advice.......

That I should put people who work on Sunday to death (Exodus 35:2) Damn blue laws!

And that I shouldn't have a garden because I am planting more than one crop in the same field (Lev 19:19)

Hmmm seems to me that God has a whole lot of good advice.

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 9:45 AM
          Ok, there are always those to see deeper, and are far more introspective, but when you do, you have to see deep enough to know which came from God or etc, and which ones were added by man. And some laws were only for specific to certain people and times. You have to have the Spirit of God to know which are which. But then I guess this is a no win conversation, and simple two divergent points of view.

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 6:11 PM
          Bob,

You're speaking about "God" with a lowercase "g". I think David is speaking about inert wisdom and the ability to listen to it.. aka.. God with a capital G. The God that has no specific religion.

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 7:51 PM
            Actually if you read what he said and put a tiny bit of thought into it you would see that he was obviously refering to the "biblical" god. But then as is typical for such "god" arguments he goes on to say that "god's word" is a pick and choose affair based on ones ability to know what is and isn't the "word of god" versus "the words of man". So very typical of this sort of argument. You assume that because of my choice of capitalization that you KNOW which god I'm refering to. Simply put you are hardly adept at reading minds so I'd choose another hobby if I were you.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 1:02 PM
              Bob,

Unless I missed an entry from David, it didn't look to me as if he was referring to a biblical god but perhaps I wasn't looking close enough. The god you were obviously referring to, by virtue alone of quoting scripture, is what I meant by "God" with a lowercase "g". It was a metaphor. Quoting scripture is more obviously "god" and I didn't see any scripture quoted by David.

Don't need to read your mind Bob, I think being in there for longer then a few seconds might convert me to a more pissed off person. Now that was an assumption.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 3:19 PM
                Nah, it might actually teach you a thing or two.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 3:32 PM
                  Then again probably not. You strike me as being far to militantly closed minded and lacking in humor to be open to such a thing from what I see. And that's far from an assumption dear. That's more like betting on a sure thing.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 4:28 PM
                    Yes Bob,

Sure Bobby, narrow tunnel vision indeed, you of all should understand that. Try opening your mind a bit to 'S'ee what David was actually trying to communicate. If you were capable of understanding his message I might actually be insulted by your opinion.. but ahh, you're opinion is like an asshole to me and we all have 'em, don't we..

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 6:18 PM
                      Ah Kitty Kat, such a typical response from you, weak and pathetic as I expected your response would be. As is typical for your type when words and intelligence fail you, you resort to petty insults and profanity. Quite lame really. One would have hoped that you would at least have been able to come up with something more original than that sad old worn out tid bit. But alas you offer few surprises and little or no originality. Here's one you might try in the future which seems to be rather fitting of your usual pablum.

Base slave, thy words are blunt, and so art thou

I mean really kitten if you are going to resort to little more than trite and feeble insults and weak minded profanities at least use a bit of creativity and make it a little interesting. Otherwise you're merely a weak minded bore.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 6:19 PM
                        Hmmm I did say bore right? Just wanted to make sure.

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 8:29 PM
                          Bobbykins,

Before we go any further with this we need to clarify some things -

1.) Do you still live with your Mother?
                          2.) Have you ever been intimately involved with a farm animal.. Pork in particular? That means do you know them in the "Biblical Sense?"

Doesn't matter how flowery, pretty or fancy your words are, what you're saying is tantamount to nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig.. and you have no lipstick. So you're left with... well... you can probably figure that out.

Last question -

3.) What happens when you're ignored, once again, after being exposed as a charlatan & poseur? Do you go into the basement with a bottle of K-Y & some 80's retro porn to remind yourself of your virility?

Ok.. really.. Last Question -

4.) Do you possess an inordinate amount of Star Trek Memorabilia in said basement?

Once we have these questions answered, we can move onto my appalling lack of humor & intemperate disposition & uninspiring prose.

Kitty Kat

Fri, June 12, 2009 - 10:52 PM
                            I might actually be insulted if your attempt wasn’t so damn laughable and inept, but hey at least you tried. Maybe one of these days you might actually get some material that’s not quite so dated.

Like I said before though Kitten, your lack of brains are showing. Poor little thing that you are you can't form an actual argument so you have to take shelter in the sad little world of brainless insults, so typical for your type. Ah such a pitiful little fool you are. LOL If you actually had any substance or intellectual ability what so ever you might actually offer an interesting debate and give and take. But clearly your lack of intelligence forces you to find shelter in your pitifully small attempts at insults which do more to show your ignorance and stupidity than any of your plentiful shortcomings that I might point out, I mean after all your own words speak volumes in that respect. As I've suspected for sometime while following this particular thread it would seem that you fall into the category of someone who's been educated beyond their intelligence and that's showing through loud and clear doll.

"So you're left with... well... you can probably figure that out. "

Hmmm wait I think I know this one....no no don't give me a hint...I think I've got it....Oh yeah now I know......YOU.

Hey! Maybe that's why you are so against eating pork. Maybe it hits a little too close to home........

Wed, June 10, 2009 - 1:33 PM
        So… what's a good, healthy way to de-parasite your family without bringing doctors into it?

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 6:19 PM
          Duck,

I'm not sure if you're question about de parasiting family was genuine or not but if it was, I'm interested in hearing about it as well. I don't think eating meat much is entirely healthy either but I get the feeling that protein is also very much needed for some folks to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I try to get it from Fish but occasionally purchase grass fed, free roaming beef as well. I also hear there are a lot of myths about iron and how it's absorbed and meat not necessarily being the best source of it. What is and isn't is hard to differentiate sometimes.

Sat, June 13, 2009 - 4:05 PM
            As far as killing parasites, there are many types synergistic combinations on the market by herbal companies. I happen to prefer Nature Sunshines, Artemisia combination, it more far reaching and kills parasites internally in your bodies organs, muscles and other soft tissue. You have more types of parasites then can count almost, and they range from microscopic to macroscopic. Then you have those which get deep in tissues and then just worms and etc in your digestive tract.

I remember one old remedy for kids and family, from the 1800 hundreds. Mothers would take raisins and soak them in water and Sienna herb. The worms don't like herbs, but the raisins camouflage it, and when they eagerly eat the raisins they get it.

I have taken herbs for decades every so often, but they are hard to kill, especially those like Trichinosis. They form cysts around themselves ands you have to break down the cyst some, for the herb to get to them. I found that using essential oils helped to oxygenate my body more, helping the herbs to do their job much better.

There are lost of herbs which work, but they work better in combination. It helps if you can sense when you need to take action on them, and when you have taken the herbs, they are then gone. But then if can come back, if you don't watch what you eat.

You can help to get rid of them too with juice and water fasting, and eating a alkaline based more plant orientated diet.

A alkaline diet, herbs and essential oils make your body and bloom more oxygenated, which helps to kill parasites and cleans toxins. Oxygen purifies your body, just as purifies flowing water in a stream.

In some places you can find health professionals who do Hydrogen Peroxide IV treatments, to super oxygenate you body to cleanse and heal it.

David

Thu, June 11, 2009 - 8:19 AM
    Only if it's bacon :-)

Azeeza

Wed, March 20, 2013 - 3:58 AM
      I eat pork but not so much. I've also heard about those horrible stories about pork meat but I don't believe them.

Wed, March 20, 2013 - 4:32 AM
        I eat it on occasion here. too much fat really hurts me and brings out our illnesses we suffer here in our home. But every thing is free range on this area we live. I mean really really free range to the point if you are not careful when driving, you may hit a cow, bull, goat, sheep, poultry of all sorts, boar. But the livestock will cost you for any damaged rendered to the farmer and fixing your car. Now you know that is free range.
        In the states I avoid it, since my skin will break out severally.

Sun, April 20, 2014 - 2:19 PM
          As a vegetarian I do not eat pork. But even when growing up in a omnivorous family I only ate bacon occasionally and other pork generally only on Easter. A Easter Ham. Happy Easter, today!. Probably many Americans are eating ham today.

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Weening Myself off These Cookies! Azeeza 18 October 19, 2014
Honey and Cinnamon offlineMeeko! 8 October 18, 2014
7 Easy Ways To Eat Health Denise 8 October 16, 2014
beef stew/soup base Girl 11 October 16, 2014