Advertisement

Organic produce by mail

topic posted Sat, October 6, 2007 - 7:53 PM by  Peggy
Share/Save/Bookmark

Don't know if anyone else has tried these ,
I've had to cut back on meat by about 90% and had been going crazy trying to find good veggies and other food. I've started springing for those huge samplers of Organic veggies and fruit that they ship overnight. Expensive but since we are not buying beef , pork or much chicken it comes out about the same . So far its working out pretty well though there are some things I just don't like, arugula and dandelion greens being two.
So far everything been pretty fresh and kept well. I've not found i way that a really like kale although the time I fried it up with potatoes in goose fat was really good but kind of defeats the purpose of the low fat low cholesterol low salt diet.

Quite a lot of variety seeing quite a shift Between the summer and the Autumn boxes. amounts of a lot of things seem more for two rather than three or four though some items serve more probably they would serve four in official govt size portions but most of the time but one of my girls and i are the main folks who eat it.

I got about 40 different kinds of food stuffs in the last mega pack though that includes the figs and daikon I bought in addition to the mega sampler it also had olive oil, French bread and pasta This package had a small box of edible flowers I've put some of the stronger flavored ones in with my salad mix but have not figured out what to do with the sweeter more delicate flowers .

I've discovered that the green beans and cauliflower don't keep nearly as well as some of the things you think would be more fragile.
So far it a nice variety of foods I'm not sure how it will be later in the year when there is less local fresh stuff

posted by:
Peggy
Los Angeles
Advertisement
  • Re: Organic produce by mail

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 8:05 PM
    Vendors? Links?

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 9:07 PM
      You're in LA . . . surely they have organic veggie delivery that's not by mail? Or are you out in some rural area? I live in Oakland and I get organic fruits and veggies delivered weekly by real live humans (rather than by mail), which has to be more fresh. Plus, they have a customizable website whereby you can note the things you don't want to get, and then each week you can log on to see what your box is going to include, and alter it (remove the collard greens, add more apples, etc. . . .) Not sure what's available in your area, but here's the one I use in the Bay Area:

www.planetorganics.com/

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 9:23 PM
        I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles but do not drive and can only physically walk short distance
        the grocery stores here are like its still the fifties I use to live in the Bay area and it was wonderful
        but the nearest organic food to me is miles away and very expensive and not that good
        and for the most part quite "white bread" even ginger root is considered exotic
        The local delivery is mostly apple and carrots i have a friend who got it foe a while but it was not very good at all.

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 9:28 PM
      I've been ordering from Diamond Organics
      diamondorganics.com/
      I've gotten good fish from Catalina offshore
      www.catalinaop.com/
      and not nearly as healthy but my husband has become addicted to Schwanns mashed potatoes and turkey tenderloin in gravy www.schwans.com/
      • Unsu...

Re: Organic produce by mail

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 10:10 PM
        yeah I just looked at that site, and there is no way I can justify paying 9 bucks for a papaya, and 15 for a pineapple
        • Unsu...

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 10:20 PM
          Holy Fuck, and thats not even including the overnight delivery fee

Sat, October 6, 2007 - 10:36 PM
            The samplers include shipping and most of the prices are pretty close to whats the norm around here for organic cheaper in some cases

Sun, October 7, 2007 - 4:36 AM
              I did have some extra money , and the savings in time and travel is considerable. To actually get the same items locally would take probably at least 12 hours and over 100 miles of travel as nothing is close here, When I lived in the Bay area I could get to 30 different ethnic grocery stores,28 different restaurants and 2 farmers markets within a 15 minute walk and public transportation would whisk me off to any place further away, Here its a brisk 20 minute walk to the nearest bus stop. 30 to the nearest store. the Diamond Organic food is better than anything I've had since I moved South a decade ago, Yep, in the long run I may not be able to justify the expense but for now its a lot less than the 40 dollar a day food program my doctor recommended. its keeping my spouse off his injured ankle and providing comfort food during a challenging period in our lives and it is about healthy food as opposed to crap, I have lost 40 pounds so far too.

Sun, October 7, 2007 - 11:34 AM
                It's great to know what alternatives are out there. I wouldn't have even dreamed that there would be such a thing available. Thanks.
                • Unsu...

Sun, October 7, 2007 - 11:44 AM
                  I hate to harp on this idea any further, but the carbon foot print of shipping your produce via over night express, is probably pretty high
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Sun, October 7, 2007 - 2:40 PM
                    I doubt that it is significantly greater than that of the produce in the shops which is also flown and trucked in, quite often from the other side of the world.
                    But I only was asking if others had tried this and if they liked it we may not have the smallest Carbon foot print but since we don't drive, don't use air conditioning and have solar heated water it may not be huge either
                    I'm trying to eat healthy food and eat less meat and this is one of the things I'm trying

Sun, October 7, 2007 - 3:44 PM
                      I have been getting a box of produce delivered to my door most of this year. It is always interesting, and I feel that I am helping local farmers stay in business (must have been a great year for tomatoes...).

I'm in the SF area, which doesn't help you LA folks. So, I did a small google search for LA deliveries. Came up with some fun stuff. Read this news article for some more info:

abclocal.go.com/kabc/story

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Weening Myself off These Cookies! Azeeza 18 October 19, 2014
Honey and Cinnamon Meeko! 8 October 18, 2014
7 Easy Ways To Eat Health Denise 8 October 16, 2014
beef stew/soup base Girl 11 October 16, 2014