Advertisement

Dukkah

topic posted Mon, May 21, 2012 - 2:54 AM by  E.S.S.
Share/Save/Bookmark
Okay a repost, since it was really yummy.

I was too lazy to cook this weekend so I snacked all weekend on fresh made hummus, a home blended olive sun dried tomatoe tapande and Dukkah. A fresh baguette, a pain au cereale, carrots, cabbage leaves & celery to dip into with a pot of ev. olive oil and then into the dukkah.

Dukkah
2/3 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt

Put almonds & hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and bake for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant at 175C/350 F While the nuts are still hot, pour them onto a tea towel. Fold the towel over them to cover, and rub vigorously to remove the skins. Set aside to cool.

Heat a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Stirring frequently, toast coriander seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds until slightly brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Cool and transfer to food processor. Add almonds, hazelnuts, thyme, turmeric and salt. Grind until crumbly; do not allow mixture to become a paste.

If you have left overs, it's great on top of a fresh salad!
posted by:
E.S.S.
Advertisement
  • Re: Dukkah

Mon, May 21, 2012 - 7:58 PM
    O. M. G.
    What leftovers? LOL

On your hummus, do you sprinkle it with olive oil and sumac? Not too many here in the states know about sumak (unless they are from the Mediterranean area). Fortunately we have a Lebanese grocery store...mmmmmmm. Their spinach hand-pies are to die for!!

Wed, May 23, 2012 - 1:46 PM
      OMG in heaven Hump Day God's coming back and boy is she pissed :) 10:45 hst • 
      www.conagrafoods.com/consume...Brand.do
      /s a widower in Hawai'i w/ four (4) kids , working dad , have served in Africa , En' sh"Allah and O ' ja ' Allah and do speak a little Arabic but am basiclly L \ A - Z okay ¿ Ω G'day mate :)

Thu, May 24, 2012 - 12:41 PM
        .all 9 am ish HST Thursday
        . N e one one watch Stats America on the HIstory Channel and the one about the food Americans ate back in 1 7 7 6 when we creamed the Brits ? We were revolting . Our diet consisted of a lot of beer back then , beans , meat , pig , and other nasty stuff like that :)
        Genuine healthy food for not so LA - Z ppl
        According to those guys on TV ( twins i might add ) we consumed osmething like ≠ 4,000 calories / day working the fields and over the hills and dales . We lived to be about 5 7 , too • G'day Maties . . ∞ Howzit ?

Fri, May 25, 2012 - 5:43 AM
          I don't think we can completely blame their diet fot their short lifespan. Beer was consumed as was wine in Europe because they had no way of purifying water. Though they didn't eat a lot of vegetables those animals were probably more nutritious than ours arw today since they didn't pump them full of hormones. And they needed 4000 calories a day to work the fields and all the other things they did by hand. They also didn't have the sanitation or the cleanliness standards we have now. Fevers and infection were huge causes of death then, not heart disease and the cardiovascular issues we have today. I'm sure some of these things were present but they weren't the big killers they are now.

Sun, December 30, 2012 - 5:49 PM
    Thank you for the recipe. The name intrigued me, the recipe, even more. Can't wait to make it."

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Do u love night club for fun? Unsubscribed 0 August 23, 2014
funny gays Unsubscribed 0 August 21, 2014
What is the closest thing to cheese and bread? Arya 0 August 20, 2014
Sugar Azeeza 3 May 14, 2014