Advertisement

tacos

topic posted Sat, September 29, 2012 - 11:30 AM by  Girl
Share/Save/Bookmark
Have been craving tacos like mad lately. They are a very lazy food that can be made healthy, depending on the fillings. The ones I have been making, though, havent been so healthy...:) so thought I would post about it. I do use homemade guacamole and pico de gallo and cilantro, so thats a start. I would like to use steak strips, but I have never made carne asada before, and I don't want to buy the prepackaged junk. Chicken is probably better and I make it well. I also use corn tortillas instead of the premade crunchy taco shells.

What healthy fillings do you guys use?
posted by:
Girl
Tulsa
Advertisement
  • Re: tacos

Mon, October 1, 2012 - 12:01 PM
    Beans. Beans. Beans.

Love beans – especially Mexican food. Can't have Mexican without beans.
    Black beans, pinto beans.

Beans, beans, beans.

Fri, October 5, 2012 - 9:22 AM
      Beans, rice, corn, cook chicken strips, napalitos, lettuce, tomato, avocado slices, jalapeno slices, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt. I like soft corn taco shells. I stay away from flour shells -- not as healthy.

Fri, October 5, 2012 - 2:11 PM
        Forgot about nopalitos!!!!!!!! Love them in scrambled eggs too. Not sure about the Greek yogurt though... I'll try it though, thanks! And, yes, beans!

Fri, October 5, 2012 - 3:14 PM
          I use the Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and I like its rich tang and thickness.

Mon, October 8, 2012 - 10:12 AM
            This is crazy, and two parts of it isn't healthy, but I like BLT tacos -- maybe with a drizzle of Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing. Just go light on the bacon and the dressing.
          • Mo
            Mo
            offline 55

Re: tacos

Wed, November 7, 2012 - 9:20 AM
            I mix chopped fresh cilantro, toasted cumin seeds, and a little chipotle into my greek yogurt - makes a delicious dip or taco topping!
            • Mo
              Mo
              offline 55

Wed, November 7, 2012 - 9:21 AM
              Also I use ground bison for my taco meat - just as easy as ground beef, but a little healthier!

Sun, November 11, 2012 - 5:33 AM
                okay...
                time to make some lunch, getting hungry reading this thread....

Tue, November 13, 2012 - 12:11 AM
                  Has anyone here ever used a George Foreman grill? I never had before because I had assumed it was one of those hokey, as seen on TV pieces of crap that never deliver. A coworker recently gave me hers, practically unused, because she never cooks. I made the carne asada for my tacos on it, and I was really impressed! I dipped some skirt steak in extra virgin olive oil, rubbed generous amounts of salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne all over it, and placed in bowl full of apple cider vinegar to marinate a few hours. Then I sliced it up and put it on the Foreman. It was slightly overdone because I underestimated the cooking time; the thing grills in a flash. It was still very tender and juicy, and pretty much all of the bad fatty stuff was grilled out. I grilled bell peppers right after to absorb some of the juices and spices still on the grill. That was good too. I haven't tried chicken on the Foreman yet, so will try that next, it's healthier for sure but sometimes I just need steak, you know? Off topic, I wonder how good the Foreman would do with paninis...
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Tue, November 13, 2012 - 12:20 AM
                    Oh, forgot to put that I used the carne asada with corn tortillas, and topped with just the grilled peppers and pico de gallo; I served with homeade guacamole and tortilla chips and fresh limes. It was very filling and quick and not terribly unhealthy, I don't think. My guests loved the carne asada and said the could smell quite some distance outside my front door. Am definitely trying other taco recipes in the future.

Tue, November 13, 2012 - 5:06 PM
                      I have one at home.. dont use it much (dont eat mucn meat here) but it is great :)

Wed, November 14, 2012 - 4:41 AM
                        We have a small one. 90% of the time, it's used to make grilled cheese sandwiches : ). Super fast and easy! I actually can't remember the last time I cooked actual meat on the thing.

Sun, December 9, 2012 - 6:03 PM
                          TSP, corn tortillas. iceberg lettuce (the kids demand it), tomatoes, cheese, avacadoes, cabbage, onions, beans............

Mon, December 10, 2012 - 2:49 PM
                            Two variations:
                            1) On this I do use soft flour taco shells: gyros style: preferably thinly sliced cooked lamb (or thinly sliced cooked beef), sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and Greek yogurt. I prefer to make tzatziki cucumber/yogurt sauce to use.
                            2) "California" Taco: crisp corn taco shell, sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, lettuce leaves, bean sprouts, a little chopped fresh jalapeno, onion and cilantro, and sunflower seeds. I don't use a sauce for myself, but you could.

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sugar Azeeza 3 May 14, 2014
Do you eat Pork? Katrina 191 April 20, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Grain Brain Meeko! 0 March 8, 2014