Advertisement

Weight Loss and Snacking...SUGAR!!!!

topic posted Sun, June 3, 2012 - 8:21 PM by  KayBug
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hey there,

I'm currently nannying in the land of Mississippi where food is bountiful and delicious, but not always the healthiest. I find myself snacking a lot on the job, and even though I eat cucumbers and tomatoes from our garden for lunch, I still cannot help but stay away from the "munchies" that are oh, so freaking good. Anyone got any remedies such as drinking tea or something that will lower my cravings for sugar and such??

THANKS!
KayBug
posted by:
KayBug
Mississippi
Advertisement
  • Re: Weight Loss and Snacking...SUGAR!!!!

Mon, June 4, 2012 - 3:55 AM

I found for myself when I do my caffeine kick in the morning, I no longer use raw sugar /sugar. I switched to agave, since I need that sweet kick as well. But switching to agave which doesn't give that nasty insulin spike/damage, but gives the taste I crave. I also then found I no longer would crave sugar through out the day, and when I did, I would have a youghurt/ muesli with agave and then the craving would stop. I also go for fresh fruit when I am craving sweet.

Mon, June 4, 2012 - 9:14 AM
    eating bitter or sour element foods can seriously cut sugar cravings.

Mon, June 4, 2012 - 12:18 PM
      . .all 09:20 hst •
      Crunch on baby carrots and low fat free dipping sauce ,
      and caulifower, brocolli , corn chip w/o salt
      and other stuƒƒs imported from Mexico :)
      Ever try saccarin or Equal ® ?
      h t h √
      [ ] Yes [ ] No

Mon, June 4, 2012 - 8:35 PM
        <eating bitter or sour element foods can seriously cut sugar cravings. >

That's and interesting idea.. might try that.

me... the dark chocolate is a good one, works for me.. or something to suck on so the sugar lasts longer...

Tue, June 5, 2012 - 1:30 PM
          fresh fruit: not empty calories, and has much needed fiber

Tue, June 5, 2012 - 3:56 PM
            I agree Dirk. About 20 minutes after posting the above I had a banana - so sweet. They key for me in that is always having fresh fruit about. I dont buy much - only a couple of pieces of each (apple, orange and banana) because I essentially live alone and pass the shops almost every day.

Tue, June 5, 2012 - 5:01 PM
              I, too, don't buy large amounts, because I live alone. Perishable berries and grapes I buy fresh and freeze on rimmed cookie sheets, then put the individual frozen pieces in ziplock bags. They're like little sherbet bites right on of the freezer, on a hot day. Mmmmm..... I quarter the strawberries.

Tue, June 5, 2012 - 7:57 PM
                I have been thinking about trying to freeze pomegranate seeds.. they would be great instead of ice in drinks..but I am yet to try it (plus it is winter here at the moment)

Tue, June 5, 2012 - 10:01 PM
                  Pomegranate seeds freeze very well, especially if they have been gently dried first. We have pomegranates only for about three weeks around Christmas. I buy as many as I can afford, and freeze the seeds. If they thaw out, they are best for cooking (EXCELLENT with poultry, and in pastries and desserts). I eat most of them raw, frozen, like sherbet. Heaven.

(Make a simple syrup with the addition of pomegranate seeds, strain, and you will have the most incredible up-scale addition to drinks. VERY GOOD added to champagne, or sparkling white wine (which I can afford).)

Thu, June 7, 2012 - 12:02 AM

Chili,

what do you usually use for sour and bitter foods to cut cravings?
      I can only think of a couple ides, and would really like to try your suggestion.

Sat, June 9, 2012 - 12:18 PM
        stuff like tart (not too sweetened) lime- or lemon-ade or just a bite of a wedge of lime can do it for me; salads (bitter) - lettuces and escaroles are naturally bitter; pickles of all kinds; radishes of all kinds.....hm I'll brainstorm some more later

Mon, June 11, 2012 - 1:24 AM
          bug, 22:22 hst ≠ sunday
          offhand i'd say munch on sugar cane stalks . .yet . .you may not be able to find them ( it looks like tall grass ) . We have choke sugar cane growing by the side of the road here in Hawai'ii . Pure cane sugar like that doesn't adversely affect ( impact ) your teeth like the refined varieties or the beet and corn sugars ( thinks: aspartamene - saccarine )
          Try ground nuts √ Goober's peas . Bolied , roasted , even smooth or cruncy peanuts and peanut butter products and other mixed nut varieties
          That's where we grow them in U S - pecans , walnuts , brazil , sunflower, bird seed , etc. Should be plentiful . Good for you , too . Increases LDL and decreases HDL √ hth ∞ /s Dr. Dosh  

Mon, June 11, 2012 - 10:39 AM
            >Pure cane sugar like that doesn't adversely affect ( impact ) your teeth like the refined varieties or the beet and corn sugars<

LOL have you been to Jamaica? check out everyone's teeth from eating lots of raw sugar cane!

another bitter food to counter sugar cravings is anything from the cabbage family -- kale, broccoli, cabbage (and sauerkraut), etc. you can add a few kale leaves to your smoothies and you probably won't even notice, but it will help cut your sugar intake/desires.

even adding a few drops of bitters to a glass of water (fizzy or not) can stop sugar cravings.
            • Mo
              Mo
              offline 55

Re: Weight Loss and Snacking...SUGAR!!!!

Mon, June 11, 2012 - 7:43 PM
              Mmm I love bitters in fizzy water, and there are so many good kinds these days! Grapefruit bitters in fizzy H2O was one of my favorite pregnancy mocktails.

Tue, June 12, 2012 - 1:42 PM
                Campari ® is a bitter √ 10 :40 am ish To0ø0O•sday ≠ HST • 
                When pregnant we drink Shirley Temples and Roy Rodgers and do not smoke n e thing n e where @ n e time
                Of course , if i ever i get pregnant . . ...whatever it is . . .. . it won't be afraid of the dark *<;Q~
                Happy Fathers' Day week everyone <3
                /s , Dr. Dosh and ohana
                www.banquet.com <- E Z food for LA - Z ppl

Sun, July 8, 2012 - 10:33 AM
    I had a terrible problem with snacking all the time and eating the wrong foods. But now I have developed a healthy drink for me that alter my snacking habits. I am sharing a receipe with you and you can also have a try of it.
    What you need:
    1.5 cups baby spinach leaves
    about six frozen medium size strawberries
    1/8 cup frozen blueberries
    5 cherry tomatoes
    5 baby carrots
    2 oz acai juice
    2 oz pomegranate juice

Put all of these ingredients into a blender or juicer (a juicer works best) and blend. You'll end up with a sort of smoothie. I hope this could be a great help!!

Thu, July 12, 2012 - 8:00 AM
      . Thursday 11 am ME time EST √ u s a
      All
      . Chewing raw cane sugar ( the stalk ) will not rot your teeth √
      Much brown sugar these days is refined ( white ) sugar they coat with molassas to make it brown again
      Sodas are corn syrup and 145 calories of fructose , not sucrose
      They will rot your teeth
      Have your kids put a tooth in a soda for a week this summer
      see what happens
      h t h ∞

Wed, March 6, 2013 - 8:21 PM
    I’ve always been one of those people that needs something sweet after dinner. It doesn’t need to be fancy, just something to satisfy my sweet tooth and stop it from nagging me. I suggest chocolate dipped strawberries. They are not bad.

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sugar Azeeza 3 May 14, 2014
Do you eat Pork? Katrina 191 April 20, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Grain Brain Meeko! 0 March 8, 2014