Advertisement

Favorit muffin Recipe?

topic posted Mon, September 7, 2009 - 10:39 AM by  Angelia-Crea...
Share/Save/Bookmark
Its coming into fall, and I am freezing and drying piles of fruit! *yum*

What is your favorite muffin recipe?

I found one that uses oat bran, apple sauce and an egg... (there are more... but that's the basic part)
Its GREAT by itself or with dried or fresh fruit. Kids LOVE them!

I'm always looking for a healthy muffin recipe. Not too much oil, lots of healthy things!
Advertisement
  • Re: Favorit muffin Recipe?

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 1:22 PM
    one of my favorite muffin recipes that I used to make alot was the thing where you made a HUGE batch of batter and it kept in the fridge for weeks, so you could make them fast and fresh for a quick treat. I have the feeling it wasn't as healthy as you'd think it was. It was a very hearty but moist and tender bran muffin, with bran flakes and All Bran cereal in it. I remember it called for buttermilk, which isn't something I tend to keep on hand, so I had to plan it, when I felt like mixing a batch.
    Also - when it was just down to her and I in our household, my then young teen daughter decided she wanted them again, and missed the point of keeping the batter in the fridge, for as needed fresh baking. She baked the whole batch at once, and called me in distress when she realized there were WAY too many to eat. LOL Not the same to freeze the baked muffins and reheat, as it was to wake the household with the smell of buttery baking in the morning. I think that was the last time we made them.

Tue, September 8, 2009 - 1:52 PM
      Liselle, here is the recipe you're looking for. I've been making these muffins a LOT lately, and they are fabulous! the batter is supposed to keep for 3 weeks tho i haven't tested that.

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

This is a heritage recipe that has been around for decades. You can make double or triple batches and always have batter on hand. My mother used to make batches by the tub to feed a houseful of hungry teenagers a ton of muffins.

Store the batter in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to two weeks, then fill the muffin tins that you need and return the rest to the refrigerator for another day.

The following recipe makes about 18 large muffins.
      Ingredients
      3 cups all-bran cereal such as All Bran or Bran Buds
      1 cup raisins
      ½ cup melted butter
      1 cup very hot water
      2 large eggs

2 cups buttermilk
      1 cup sugar
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 cup stone ground wheat flour
      1 tablespoon baking soda
      ½ teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

1. In a medium bowl, add the cereal and raisins and then the very hot water. Stir in the melted butter. Set it aside to soak.
      2. In another bowl, whisk the eggs and stir in the buttermilk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, salt, and baking soda together until well combined.
      4. Make a crater in the dry ingredients. Pour in the egg mixture and the cereal mixture and then stir with a spatula until combined.
      5. If you choose to make muffins now, fill well-greased tins two-thirds full. Refrigerate the remaining batter in a covered container in the refrigerator.
      6. Bake the muffins for 14 to 18 minutes or until they test done. Let them sit in the tins for several minutes and then remove them to wire racks to cool. Freeze any leftovers.
  • Mo
    Mo
    offline 55

Re: Favorit muffin Recipe?

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 11:47 AM
    recent post on Chocolate and Zucchini that made me drool:

Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins

- 120 grams (1 cup) oat bran (prefereably organic; wheat bran may be substituted)
    - 120 grams (4 1/4 ounces, about 1 cup) flour
    - 1 teaspoon baking powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    - a good pinch salt
    - 100 grams (1/2 cup) unrefined cane sugar
    - 120 grams (1 cup) blueberries (no need to thaw them if frozen)
    - 240 ml (1 cup) plain yogurt (buttermilk can be substituted)
    - 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil (I use extra-virgin sunflower oil)
    - 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    - 2 eggs, at room temperature

Makes about 12 muffins.

Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F) and line a 12-muffin tray* with paper liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar, until no lump remains. Add the blueberries and toss gently to combine.

In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, and eggs. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, and fold it in gently with a spatula until no trace of flour remains. The mixture will be lumpy, but resist overmixing.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling each muffin mold by about three quarters (to minimize the mess, you can use a spring action ice cream scoop, as recommended to me after my twitter plea). Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, until set and golden. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Fri, March 30, 2012 - 8:49 AM
      Have been perusing the Web lately for yummy/healthy muffin recipes, as I can cook a lot at once and they will keep for a while when I don't have time to cook, and they make for a really fast on-the-go breakfast. The blueberry oat bran recipe listed here looks amazing! Some recipes I have seen on ohter sites look great too, but am not sure if they are healthy; one is a cranberry-orange one that uses dried cranberries simmered in orange juice and orange zest. Another is a coconut one (love anything coconut!) Except for added fiber, are these ingriedients healthy? Thought I would bump this old post to see if anyone has new recipes or ingriedients to share. When I try out my recipes, if they are good I will post them!

Girl

Fri, March 30, 2012 - 8:51 AM
        Also: if a muffin recipe calls for milk, can I use plain yogurt like Fage? Or does this alter texture? Yogurt would definitely be healthier.

Fri, March 30, 2012 - 9:01 AM
          Another also (mind is fuzzy today and cannot remember to put everything in one post lol) : If I have a recipe for a bread, such as banana bread, pumpkin bread ect., can I use same recipe and cook as muffins? Do I adjust bake time/heat? Sorry, am newbie to baking. *blushes* I'm working on it!

Fri, March 30, 2012 - 11:01 AM
          I have used goat milk, yoghurt and creme fraiche in place of milk. In my opinion if it counts, I find it gives a richer taste and yep takes a little longer but it maybe due to my altitude as well... So I always do the toothpick test to see if it is baked enough.

Fri, March 30, 2012 - 1:13 PM
            . . . fav. muƒƒin recipe ?
            Carrot cake w/ cream cheese icing √ Happy Palm Sunday weekend . Rabitts' feet are suppose to be lucky charms , aren't they ? Wasn't so lucky for that rabitt now was it ? Guess what we're having for Easter dinner . . .. clue : Haßenƒuß :)
            Ω

Sun, December 16, 2012 - 10:42 AM
              4 small to medium bananas (VERY ripe)
              1 cup chopped cranberries
              1 1/3 cup shredded coconut
              1/2 cup wheat germ
              1 stick plus 1 tablespoon (9 tablespoons) soft unsalted butter
              3/4 cup sugar
              2 eggs
              1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
              2 tablespoons vanilla flavor
              2 teaspoons baking powder
              1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in saucepan, then take off heat. Mash bananas in another bowl. Beat the sugar into the cooled, melted butter, then beat in the bananas, vanilla and eggs. Fold in the flour baking powder, baking soda, and wheat germ. Add cranberries and coconut. Fold very well, then pour into muffin pan with muffin liners already in. Bake 30-40 minutes. Let sit in pan another 5 minutes before removing.

I LOVE these muffins, they are very juicy. Probably because of the butter lol. The butter pretty much negates the health benefits of the wheat germ and fruits; I want to try making this with applesauce instead of butter, but I don't know how much applesauce to use. I would guess 9 tablespoons, since that is how much butter is used; does that seem right?

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sugar Azeeza 3 May 14, 2014
Do you eat Pork? Katrina 191 April 20, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Grain Brain Meeko! 0 March 8, 2014