Advertisement

working with cravings.

topic posted Sun, March 18, 2012 - 8:30 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
i've got a theory. I'd like to know what others think of it.

i think the body tells us what nutrients it needs and how much, if we only listen (still mind, meditation, etc.). I believe that if we eat what we're craving (when in a calm state) for as long as it's pleasurable, we can stay nutritionally healthy with minimal effort. I think the trick is to eat slowly and STAY ALERT while your eating, actually pay attention to the food and the act of eating... slipping into idle thought can easily override body awareness and lead to overeating, since we won't be able to notice when the cravings are sated.

thoughts?
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: working with cravings.

Sun, March 18, 2012 - 10:11 PM
    All I can think in response.. is ... I am craving chocolate !

Mon, March 19, 2012 - 2:49 AM
      My philosophy is somewhat simplistic, though somewhat based on psychology and evolutionary anthropology.

Hunger and appetite are not the same things.

Hunger is "We eat to live".
      Appetite is "We live to eat".

Hunger is a real physical need.
      Appetite is a non-essential craving.

Hunger is a communal need to be met -- we need to feed the community in order for the community to exist.
      Appetite is a self-indulgent and selfish desire -- to hell with everyone else, I'm going to get what I want.

I've been able to lose weight and be healthier by realizing this: meeting hunger is enough; appetite can never be met because there's never enough.

This is just my opinion and viewpoint; I respect others having their own opinion and viewpoint.

Mon, March 19, 2012 - 8:38 AM
    I think there is some truth to this but I think the body sends the simple and quick image. For example I was craving a cheeseburger. But I made a salad with black beans instead. Thinking yeah I made the right choice. Still wanted the cheeseburger. Maybe if I had had a salad with steak I would have been able to avoid the burger I eventually went and ate.

Tue, March 20, 2012 - 6:57 PM
      . .uh huh √  12.03.20 4 pm hst • 
      My three major food groups are chocolate , ice cream , and bananas and a no card diet ( no pizza , pasta or beer )
      Healthy Food for Lazy People .Kids can eat pretty much what they c r a v e whenever they want to . Adults have a different problem
      White is bad , orange is good . Try a diet like that - carrotts , sweet potatos & skins ( niacin and iron ) and no refined items , no white rice , sugar or wheat product , yet chicken or white pork ( no fat or skin is okay ) Crunchy corn products are okay , too √ h t h Ω www.conagrafoods.com/consume...Brand.do <- recipies here possibly

• Unsu...

Re: working with cravings.

Wed, March 21, 2012 - 2:57 AM
    thanks for the feedback.

=) now i want cheeseburgers and chocolate.

i guess "craving" isn't really the right word, but i don't know a more appropriate one. meditation + "physical memory," maybe?

once i ate nothing but krystal burgers for three and a half days. when i started eating things with more "nutritional substance" i could feel it in my body like watering a dry plant, and it felt good. I started watching for that particular feeling, in general, when i ate. It's usually much less dramatic, and i have to "listen" harder to recognize it, but it seems to tell me when i'm putting something in there it can use.

I still crave chocolate and cheeseburgers, but the cravings fell more frantic and less "calm" somehow, and the pleasure i get from fulfilling those urges isn't the same. this may not make sense, but the pleasure seems to come from higher up in my body than the one telling me I'm eating the right stuff -- that one sort of "ripples out" from the center of my body.

thanks again for the thoughts =D

Wed, March 21, 2012 - 2:11 PM
      . . L/A - Z ƒoods 12.03.21 11 am - ish hst •
      Cheesburgers and comfort foods are bad .. Chocolate is good . Simple as that √ Try Swiss Miss ® ( we call it Swiss Mess ® ) in coffee . Coffee is good 4 u now , aqccording to the Center for Science in the Public Interest , the people who bring you these designations www.cspinet.org/ i used to work there for Mike Jacobson . Teas w / honey . You can make a tea out of just about n e thing and it will probably be good 4 u . Dandelion tea wil clean you right out . Not for L A - Z ppl though :)
      Don't be worried about retaining water , women . It occurs only about once a month . Drink choke fluids ( diabetics have a different problem ) . Excercise . Ensure ® is great and comes in Strawberry , Chocolate or Vanilla . You could live on or off it , like bananas and peanut butter
      We wouldn't recommend doing so though
      Coconuts and coconut water \ milk is not recommended for LA - Z ppl . i saw a guy yesterday trying to get a coconut out of a tree with a rock yesterday . It'll never happen . One must climb and know how to use a macheté • h t h Ω

Thu, March 22, 2012 - 12:58 PM
    Mindful eating is always good. But cravings can be a weird thing. I read once that iron deficiency can make you crave ice cubes. Sugar cravings could mean you actually need complex carbs.

Fri, March 23, 2012 - 4:26 PM
      I agree cravings are complicated. I also agree with the original poster's thought that if we listen to our bodies we can pretty much hear from them what our bodies want and need.

But craving sugar and sweets probably only means that you've been eating sugary items recently. Sugar is more a drug than a food and really should be a controlled substance. It is as dangerous as any drug, probably more dangerous than some. Sugar leads to all kinds of health problems, including but not limited to weight gain. It may even be a cause of cancer. Sugar is addictive and if you stop eating sugar you will stop craving it too.

Recent topics in "Healthy Food for Lazy People"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
funny gays John 0 Today, 7:31 PM
What is the closest thing to cheese and bread? Arya 0 Yesterday, 8:00 PM
Sugar Azeeza 3 May 14, 2014
Do you eat Pork? Katrina 191 April 20, 2014